In a world abundant with resources, the haunting echoes of hunger are still profoundly felt. Seven years ago, I transitioned from a decade of spearheading USANA Studios to leading the USANA Foundation and USANA Kids Eat. Suddenly, the whispers of hunger amplified to deafening roars in my ears, especially considering how I’ve come face-to-face with the most vulnerable among us.
Food insecurity, a term often dismissed or misunderstood, represents the grim daily reality for nearly 660 million people globally. It signifies the lack of consistent access to enough affordable, nutritious food. It’s a worldwide crisis that stunts futures and destroys incredible, hard-working people every day.
And it’s ever-present in our own Utah local community, too.
The USANA Foundation is Fighting Food Insecurity
So, what has the USANA Foundation done about it?
- At the core of our global fight against hunger lies the USANA Garden Towers. These Towers not only produce food, but provide the invaluable knowledge of sustainable farming to communities. This innovative program has significantly contributed to the over 74 million meals we have provided to families since 2012.
- And most notably YOU! The selfless dedication of our USANA Associates and employees worldwide has resulted in countless hours of service and contributions exceeding $22 million.
Our mission’s wingspan has stretched to over 44 countries since 2012. The Garden Towers thrive in locations from Latin America to Asia, 14 countries in all. And we’re just getting started.
USANA Foundation Empowers Kids in Our Community
While our global impact as a foundation speaks volumes, we are all too aware of the challenges on our doorstep. Launching USANA Kids Eat in 2019 ensured that even in our own backyard, the pangs of hunger are met with the warmth of a meal.
In our local Utah school system, 1 in 9 children are food insecure and frequently rely on school meals as their primary source of nourishment, returning home to barren cupboards. Through this program, we ensure thousands of kids have sufficient food over the weekend, so they arrive on Monday nourished and ready to learn.
As we commemorate Hunger Action Month, it’s fitting to recognize the tireless efforts of numerous employees and local associates. Thanks to your commitment to packing and delivering, these children have consistently received their bags every week at their schools.
How You Can Take Action Against Hunger Today
So, how can you be a beacon of hope, both in USANA’s headquartered community and with our global community? As September is Hunger Action Month, we encourage everyone who seeks to end malnutrition for good to partner with us and our hunger-fighting initiatives. Here are a few active ways you can get involved today if you have a heart for hungry kids in Utah:
- Become a Monthly Donor: Every penny goes a long way in reshaping lives and empowering children in our community. In fact, 100% of donations go directly toward food and its distribution to 44 schools along the Wasatch Front!
- Sponsor a School in Our Community: We are always eager to connect with adoptive sponsors who can support schools along the Wasatch Front through our weekend bag program.
- Sign Up to Volunteer: Ever thought of rolling up your sleeves and confronting hunger in our community in a tangible way? Sign up to volunteer by packing a bag with USANA Kids Eat.
As the Hunger Action Month unfolds, it’s time we introspect. The fight against hunger isn’t someone else’s battle—it’s ours.
Today, as we reflect on our strides, we also envision a world where kids’ plates aren’t empty and their hearts are full. We have sowed the seeds, but the harvest requires us all. Will you join us?